Japanese video game auteur, Hideo Kojima, is known for many things within the games industry: creating the base for stealth games with the Metal Gear Solid series, redefining the way stories are told in video games, and his use of cinematography in cutscenes. At San Diego Comic Con 2019, Kojima hosted a panel where he spoke about a number of different topics, including the fastest way to make money through game development. “The easiest way to make money is to make a game where everyone is on an island trying to shoot each other. I don’t want to make that.”
There has been some controversy over this statement as some people appear to be reading into it as Kojima looking down on the developers of battle royale games. The bulk of the criticism comes from people reading Patrick Shanley’s tweet that featured the quote, as opposed to the video which sheds some more light on the context of the quote. If you read the tweet without any context, it is easy to think Kojima was ‘firing shots’ at developers, whereas the video makes it clear that this was only supposed to be a joke. In the video (prior to the battle royale quote), Kojima states that he wants to make games that will stand the test of time and will live on years down the line.
Kojima has never been the type of developer to make a game that doesn’t have a strong narrative at the centre of it. When you look at some of Kojima’s earliest games like Metal Gear (1987) on the MSX2, despite the technical limitations of the time you can clearly see how he was trying to tell stories that have never been told on the medium. Reading into this quote, even when you consider the fact that it is a playful jab at the battle royale genre, it is interesting to see the direction video games appear to be heading towards. Only time will tell if games like PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS and Fortnite will leave a lasting impression on the industry in years to come.
Miyamoto Shares Details About His Relationship With The Late Satoru Iwata
A new book entitled, Iwata-san, was published today in Japan containing interviews with Shigeru Miyamoto (creator of Mario) and Shigesato Itoi (creator of Earthbound) on their relationships with the late Satoru Iwata. The book is currently only available in Japanese however, translated excerpts have already been published by IGN.
“To me, he was a friend more than anything… It never felt like he was my boss or that I was working under him. He never got angry; we never fought about anything.”
Miyamoto also outlined memories of one of his first meals with Iwata, who was in Kyoto to work on a project at the time. Both had been working and decided to go and get a bowl of ramen for dinner.
“Nintendo doesn’t pay for social expenses, so we had to go Dutch on the bill.” says Miyamoto. “That became a tradition that lasted even after he became company president and I became an executive.”
From that point onwards, the two often ate lunch together to discuss new ideas. Miyamoto goes on to mention how this is something that he greatly misses doing now.
“Since he passed away, Nintendo has been doing just fine.” says Miyamoto. “He left many words and structures that live on in the work of our younger employees today. The only problem is that, if there is some good-for-nothing idea I come up with over the weekend, I have no one to share it with the next Monday. That I can no longer hear him say ‘Oh, about that thing…’ is a bit of a problem for me. It makes me sad.”
Shigesato Itoi also weighed in on his experience with Iwata, looking back on it fondly.
“Iwata said that the vision behind his business was to make everyone happy: himself, his friends at work, and his customers… It’s funny how you remember the most insignificant things, but whenever Iwata used the word ‘happy,’ he would show you the palms of both of his hands. That’s something I don’t think I’ll ever forget.”
Saturo Iwata passed away in July 2015 at just 55 years old. His death shook the video games industry and was promptly followed with many fans publishing artworks and tributes in his memory. During his time as President at Nintendo, he saw the release of the Nintendo DS, Wii, Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U, having worked on countless games, also. He is widely regarded as an important figure in the wider games industry and is remembered for his positive influence and contributions to gaming.3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjIk16rGrYU&feature=em-uploademail https://www.twopointstudios.com/blog-two-point-hospital-is-coming-to-console/
Two Point Hospital Doctors Its Way Onto Consoles This Year
Management sim fans will be happy to hear that Theme Hospital’s spiritual successor, Two Point Hospital, will be arriving on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch, both physically and digitally, in late 2019. The console release will also include previously released expansions Bigfoot and Pebberly Island, giving the console versions a grand total of 21 hospitals and 119 illnesses to take care of.
Two Point Studios, the developers behind Two Point Hospital, has redesigned the control scheme from the ground up specifically for controllers to ensure players have a smooth experience. Having the option of playing Two Point Hospital on consoles/handheld is something players have been demanding since the game was first announced. Speaking of giving the community exactly what they want, the same free updates that have been implemented on the PC version will also be brought over to the console versions. Additional features that were included thanks to user-feedback such as the copy-paste rooms feature and unique customisation options are included in the console ports.
The developer will be running a series of blogs outlining exactly what will be included in the console version and why it’ll be the best port. Over the next few days (July 24th, 25th and 26th) Two Point Studios will be publishing more information on their website, including comments from their Senior UI/UX Designer, Lauren Woodroffe; Writer/Designer, Harry Puttock and Brand Director, Craig Laycrock. For now, you can feast your eyes on the console announcement trailer.
Two Point Hospital was incredibly well-received when it was released in August 2018. Earning an impressive overall score of 83 on Metacritic, the game succeeded in bringing beloved classic, Theme Hospital, into the current generation while making a selection of notable improvements on its original formula.
Will We Be Seeing Another ‘Smash Court Tennis’ Game In Europe?
Before you get excited – this isn’t a Smash Bros. Tennis game! Bandai Namco filed a trademark in Europe for a game called ‘Smash Tennis’ yesterday. Some may remember the Namco Tennis Smash Court games that previously released on the PSOne, PS2, PSP and Xbox 360. The last title in the franchise, Smash Court Tennis 3, launched back in 2007, featuring world-class tennis players Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Serena Williams. The game received mixed reviews which left the series dormant… until now. While we only have the EUTM file information to look at, for now, we’re hoping that more information will be published soon, potentially at Gamescom 2019.
A New NiGHTs Game May Be Heading To Consoles
Sega Games has filed a trademark for “Nights Dream Wheel” in Japan, leading the way to speculation that we may finally see another NiGHTs game in the near future. The trademark includes “home use (console game).”, ending any speculation that this has anything to do with a mobile game. It’s been a long time since we saw anything from Sega’s NiGHTs series, with the last title being released back in December 2007 for the Wii – NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams.
Last week, Sega announced a remastered port of Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz for PC, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch. If Banana Blitz is anything to go by, there is a chance Nights Dream Wheel could be a remastered port of the 2007 Wii game. When the Banana Blitz trademark was registered, it only took two weeks for more information to come about the remastered, so we imagine we’ll be receiving more information shortly.
The RDR2 DLC & RDR Remake Rumours Were Fake
Many outlets have recently covered the rumoured Red Dead Redemption 2 DLC leaks published by Reddit user throwaway11113454. The user claimed that their ‘friend’, an environment artist at Rockstar, confirmed that the studio is currently working on DLC that would play similarly to RDR’s Undead Nightmare expansion. The same person also stated that Rockstar is working on a remake of the original RDR game, with plans to release it on the game’s 10th anniversary in 2020.
After watching the rumours gain some traction, the Reddit user has finally admitted that “there is no dlc for Red Dead Redemption 2 or remake of the first game as far as I know.”, claiming that “this was an experiment I have always wanted to do regarding the spreading of rumors in video game culture.”.
A few other Reddit users have used this opportunity to criticise gaming journalists and YouTubers for covering the rumour, despite a number of them outlining how unreliable the user was as they had no previous post history. While these users think the experiment was ‘worth it’, throwaway1113454 has stated that “…This is my fault, I should’ve never spread a false rumor like this. And I genuinely apologize for leading you and others on”.
Dragon Age 4 Setting Potentially Revealed By Collection Of Short Stories
BioWare fans are fully aware that they will be waiting a few more years until they get to play Dragon Age 4, but that will not stop them from guessing where the upcoming game will be set. Fortunately, the writers of Dragon Age have dropped hints in the past through the novels, giving information about the setting and characters months before the games have shipped. The latest novel is an anthology of short stories set in the Dragon Age universe – Dragon Age: Tevinter Nights. This would suggest Dragon Age 4 is in fact set in the Mage-ruled nation of Tevinter Imperium.
If you can’t wait to find about the next chapter in the series, you will definitely want to read up on these short stories. Dragon Age: Tevinter Nights will be available to purchase next year on March 10th.